Monday, December 11, 2006

Madison finished the multiplication tables!

Because of the moving chaos, I was not able to post that Madison finished memorizing her multiplication tables! She had about six to go in the week before we left, which sent her into a panic, because her big prize that she'd eyed for months was at the Toys R Us there, a stuffed-animal horse, and she couldn't stand the idea of having to move without it.

So she asked for a hand with the last six problems.

I came up with YET ANOTHER strategy for memorizing them, and it worked, she did those in one day. I am sure that it was more the motivation than my strategy, but here is what I did.

We have a whole bunch of stickers in a sticker box. I decided to use those, with a different type of sticker for each equation.

We took note cards and made flash cards, with the equations on one side, and the answers on the other, and put a certain kind of stickers on each card, on both sides, with a little story to go with both the numbers and the stickers. And lo and behold, it worked!

She got this horse at Toys R Us. An enormous stuffed horse which is almost as big as she is. She named it Rosebud, and it sleeps with her. The child adores that horse.

No comments: