It's been a real struggle to fit all my work in amongst all of the kids' stuff. I am working on some cool projects, which has slung me into thorough mental conflict all morning long; as the girls do their work, I can't get enough time to myself to get up any real momentum for my own stuff. I get it done, but it takes a lot longer than it would if I just had some solid minutes.
Let me also be perfectly honest about this: My work is more interesting to me than Madison's conversion of fractions into decimals, Ella's careful rendering of a cursive E, or the fact that today would be Laura Ingalls Wilder's birthday.
I love my work. But it involves a lot of keeping up with details for a lot of people, in addition to requiring a lot of thinking work on my own. And everyone needs "little fixes" on their reports. When these come in over the wire (so to speak), if I don't do them right away, then they get lost. So I try to do them right away.
So, often, too often it seems, I am putting my kids "on hold." Oh, you're done with that math? Ok, I'll look at it as soon as I'm done with this (and this and this if I can squeeze them in), why don't you start your handwriting?
And, often, too often it seems, I'm putting my clients "on hold." They understand, but no one is particularly thrilled about the "No, sorry, in the mornings after 9:15 until lunch I'm pretty taken up with the kids' work. Oh...and the afternoons? They're worse because I'm driving them all over creation to Spanish, chess, sign language, karate, dance, Brownie events, nature class, etc. How about between 12:30 and 1pm on Thursday? Or between 8:30 and 10:30pm on Wednesday? Or from 7:30-8:30am on Friday? Or I can get you on my cell when they're at karate, but I can't be in front of a computer then. Otherwise you'll just have to email me."
Yesterday, we were at their Spanish class, which they have at a friends' house in Pittsford. We went early because the other kids all had the day off of school due to excessive cold (!), and they hoped my kids could come over early and play. We were there more than 2 1/2 hours, and all that was going on in my mind when I was having a grown-up chat with Monica was how if I were in front of the computer, I'd be able to spend the time working on this and this and this, and oh geez I almost forgot THIS. And the schoolroom needs organizing, it's become a dumping ground because it's too cold to work in. And why is it that people keep wearing clothes...and then PUTTING THEM IN THE HAMPER which means they need washing. Why not wear the stuff two or three days?
At least I've been fairly successful about keeping the evenings for a nice dinner and some time with David.
But a good book, I'd kill for the time to read a good book. One that doesn't involve Harry or Hermione, not that I begrudge Ms. Rowling...there is a David Hackett Fisher history book that is calling me. Madison and I haven't worked on her chapter book in weeks. Or paint, I'd desperately love to paint. I have a wonderful photograph of Letchworth Park that I'd like to replicate in paint for the area above the fireplace in Tatiana's new house.
But the next thing that is coming up that will be when I get a stretch of time is TAXES. Have to get all my records together from last year. First I have to set up files from the move, haven't done that yet.
You know what really gets me? I know everyone will want to reassure me about this, because it sounds ridiculous from the outside, but really and truly I'm LAZY. Yes, I somehow manage to get all of this done which looks all good on paper and all. But I spend far too much time on the internet, reading other homeschooling or friends' or political blogs, time that could be spend filing or doing laundry or planning meals or even reading or painting. I can't even justify my internet time as particularly edifying, it's more a way of escaping from all of the details chasing me. I feel so guilty, thinking about how much I'd REALLY get done if I actually made the most efficient use of my time. I would rather be painting than lazily clicking through from one blog to the next, why don't I do it?
On the other hand, when I step back, I'm perfectly happy with what I've been able to accomplish in the last year. So go figure.
While you do that, I'm going back to decimals, and the way OW has two different sounds in English.
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment