We started a new timeline last week: Western Culture, 1450-2001. It's 11 feet long, as opposed to the 115-foot long timeline we were able to have snaking through the basement of our last house. But that one had to cover 4.6 billion years of earth's history, this one just needs to cover 550 years.
The girls absolutely love the timeline, and I think it will help with the Birthday of the Day, too. Last week, we colored in 2-cm-wide strips at the top of the timeline to represent the main intellectual/historical movements: Reformation, Renaissance, Elizabethan Era, Enlightenment, Industrial Revolution, Computer Age. We put the main American wars on there, too.
Early this morning, I started finding images of great people...past Birthdays of the Day, plus people I just thought should be on there. I have the next 14 days of B of the D too, so they can paste them on sometime during the relevant mornings. We had a terrific time doing about 10 of them this morning. We only have every 50 years marked off on the calendar, and Ella can't get her mind around estimating where, say, 1867 is on the timeline. Madison is fine, though, but I still think I might do a light bar marking every 10 years.
I'll be working on this Word document gradually, because it does take time to find the images and resize them and put the names and dates on, but anyone is welcome to the document once I have a lot of people on, if you want to do your own timeline. It will be a real handy shortcut.
I wish I could find my camera, this would make a good picture to post!
Monday, March 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment