Monday, January 11, 2010

10-year-old's bio

I had to write a little "bio" for the program for Madison's upcoming performance of Schoolhouse Rock Live at Stages.

It was due yesterday, so of course I wrote it at 11:00 last night. You know those little program blurbs, right? They always start off like this: "Jane Jones is thrilled to be back at Stages once again after having taken a brief sabbatical to appear on Broadway as Annie..." I decided that no bio of a child of MINE is starting "Madison Ross is thrilled" or "Madison Ross is delighted." But it's not as though she has lots of acting credits worth mentioning. So what to say?

Here's what I came up with:
Madison Ross (Ensemble) is a home-schooled fifth grader from Brighton. Schoolhouse Rock is Madison's first Stages show, and she describes the experience with lots of adjectives: Exciting, energizing, electric, thrilling, challenging, and fun. She studies musical theater with John Barthelmes at Spotlight Theatre Arts in Fairport, and plays piano, flute, and viola. Madison loves writing, reading, and computer programming, and hopes someday to be a science fiction writer.

Two potential issues made me hesitate before hitting the Send button:

1) I have technically never heard Madison Ross tell anyone that she wants to be a science fiction writer.

2) Madison Ross is currently in an argumentative phase. Granted, this is about a 10-year-and-counting phase, but it's gotten to where if you say there is about a foot of snow on the ground she'll be outside with a ruler trying to prove you wrong before you can say "six curse word degrees."

I hit the Send button. I figured that the volunteer doing the program wasn't going to send it to press at 9am today, and that it was fixable if suddenly the child told me that she was planning on a career as a televangelist or something.

I read it to her this morning. She listened without interrupting to object (!), blinked twice, said reflectively, "Science fiction writer. Huh. That sounds about right," and went back to what she was doing.

Okay then.

No comments: