Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The struggle of handwriting

From Deb:

It's hard when your brain so far outstrips your hand. Madison is getting a little better at handwriting, but struggles both with its look and its pace. She knows it's pretty bad, and it takes her so long to form the letters that she in no way can use handwriting to record her thoughts. She's learning to type partly to take away this frustration, but that is still very slow, of course. (It's a good thing we're doing the book together, us talking while I type, just so that she has some outlet for getting down her thoughts.) Yesterday was the day for thank-you cards for her birthday, and my god, it took her two hours to write "Thank you, love Madison" on ten cards and print out a sentence or two on the computer in the vein of "Thank you for coming to my birthday party. I really loved the art supplies." And I even typed the original sentence, made her letterhead, and provided her with the list of who gave her what. She had a lot of fun with fonts and colors, though.

It even frustrates me, so I can imagine how she feels.

I know that the key is the same as the way to Broadway. But I think I hate that she has to practice even more than she hates it. So, admission of guilt here: We don't do it every day. Kind of far from it.

No comments: