Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ella's dreaming

Ella woke up from a dream about...baseball. She dreamed that the Rochester Red Wings had hit three home runs, among other more elaborate details of the game.

This delights me, believe it or not, for two reasons. First is that she's dreaming at all, and recounting the dreams in detail. Madison has always had, like me, these elaborate dreams that she loved talking about when she awoke (I used to annoy people with the elaborateness of my dreams and my insistence on talking about them). Ella, though, almost NEVER recounted dreams. I couldn't tell if it meant something about her imagination, or intelligence...or if the fact of the elaborate dreams were linked to MADISON's imagination or intelligence, of which the kid certainly had plenty. Now, almost at about the same time she's gotten engaged and immersed in these fantasy chapter books on CD, she's dreaming like heck.

The other reason I'm happy she's dreaming about baseball in particular is that it must mean something to her. She understands the rules of the game, now, is happy to sit through a 3-hour game with all of us, and she has integrated it enough into her personality for it to emerge in a cool dream. I love baseball. It's another connection that I have with both my girls. How fun.

Just as an update: We've finished the final available book in the Children of the Red King series, #5, Charlie Bone and the Hidden King. The other day, I found a great web site that will be very enjoyable for those who have read this series: Charlie-Bone.com.

No comments: