Thursday, July 30, 2009

Silvia is probably a better homeschooling mom than I am

Silvia, a nice hs-ing mom I met when we lived in Charlottesville for a year-and-a-half a few years ago, is far more hip than I. She and her kids are raising scorpions.

I always say I'd go to the ends of the earth and back for my kids, but this is something I would never, ever do. Just, no.

No in an "I-can't-vaguely-imagine-doing-this-even-though-it's-so-darned-cool-in-theory" kind of way. No in a "despite-all-of-the-valuable-experience-I'm-robbing-my-kids-of" kind of way.

I console myself with the idea that it's good to know one's limits.

Sorry, girls.

2 comments:

susan dawn wake said...

As long as you are teaching them how to raise a ruckus when the government comes after their liberty, I think that's more essential to homeschooling that raising scorpians! And maybe they could go look at somebody else's scoprians. Of course, I'm happy to just look at pictures in a textbook! I have a lot of complaints about my own education, but the fact that we didn't do this is not among them.

Shez said...

That's so funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing about Silvia and her scorpions.