Dear Resident:Oh-ho! Required, is it? By what? By whom?
For planning and reporting purposes, it is required
that the District know about all children in our district from birth to age 18 and if the child receives special education, from birth to 21.
If there are no changes it is NOT necessary to return this form.
Now, there's know about, and KNOW about. What does it all mean? There is no reference to what, by law, they need to know.
What they do "know" on the form is this: The girls' names, birthdates, gender, ethnicity, grade in 2009-2010, and the school they attend. (Interestingly, the school that is listed for them is:
Private School (Home Schooled)I kinda like that wording.
But here's the catch: They got their birthdays wrong. That's right, some careless clerk made a typo on each girls' birthday (though they got the birth YEAR right for each).
The question is: Do I notice this? And, if I do notice it, am I actually legally obligated at this time to try to correct for the District's typo on this document? (It's clearly a typo...they got the same, incorrect, birthday.) I have to say, from a security perspective, I'm not too interested in documents winging around through the district with all of my girls' identifying info on it. Might be kinda nice just to leave the birth date wrong. The girls' quarterly reports and IHIPs have their correct birthdays on them, so I figure I'm probably covered legally, as I tell them the correct birthdays six times each year.
If there is a child living in your home that [sic] you suspect has a handicapping condition [sic] and has not been previously identified by the school for this condition, please check this box.Fat chance.
Questions? Call the Census Department at____Seriously considering asking them to show me the law.
6 comments:
Oh dear. The bureacracy is confused and inefficient? Say it ain't so!
But, in all seriousness, the real issue is whether the girls' birthdates will ever make a difference in the future. I don't know how the birthdates might be applied. In my case, my (closed shop, **cking) union had my birthdate wrong for 10 years and I didn't know it. Then it came up for some reason and I had to prove I really was born when I was (thankfully, I have my birth certificate).
My advice is, leave the mistake until it proves to be a problem. Then, if it is a problem, fix it.
Apropos of all this, I'll have an earful for you and David when we get together soon about NYS's "dependent verification" process in healthcare. Thanks in advance for being hosts who can tolerate an occasional rational rant!
Typo? What typo? Oh, funny, I never noticed that.
Why does NY ask for so much??? Six times per year is a lot of reporting. I think you should ask them to show you the law. I'd love to see what it actually says. I've never recieved one of those letters. Do you think it is because my kids aren't required attendance/reporting age yet so the district may not know about them?
I put it on the girls' IHIP, each of four quarterly reports, and end-of-the-year report, all of which are required by New York State. I am not positive that putting the girls' birthdate on the quarterly reports is required; it's in my standard header for each child.
we receive a similar census form from Norfolk public schools and I promptly file it in file 13. I've yet to submit one.
Post a Comment