I'm pretty sure that being on her own was the problem with Madison and Saxon Math. Today, she did Lesson 5 with me writing down her answers for the first half and her writing the answers for the second half, while I was beside her to keep her focused. She even wrote very neatly, without too much getting distracted. And, voila, only 20 minutes for the whole deal. She was very encouraged. I think I'll do this for a while to wean her slowly from me.
Ella has been zipping through lessons, anything I give her. She's now great at the addition problems for facts up to 20, and doesn't mind writing them out in workbooks. She did 40 problems this morning without even blinking. And her handwriting continues to be great.
We did snuggle school for an hour this morning in bed, with me reading the Greek myths while the open window let in the fresh crisp air and the sound of the rain.
We did logic. Madison and I read and discussed economics. Ella did reading with some three-part cards you put together to make words. They played outside in the rain with some warm clothes.
In addition, Madison read a couple of pages from my Dick Francis book To the Hilt, because we're going to a Dick Francis book signing tonight in Warrenton, VA, which is about 70 miles north of Charlottesville. I can't wait to shake his hand! As he's 85, I never thought I'd get the opportunity.
And all in about 2 hours. Good thing, because I'm now off to get my hair cut. Have to look good in front of the Master, you know.
Friday, October 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment