Thursday, October 12, 2006

Handwriting

I have an email in to a mail-order home school supplies client to see if I can get a deal on Handwriting Without Tears, but in the meantime I decided to take Laura's advice in hand immediately and focus on handwriting exercises with Madison.

I decided that the path of least resistance would be to have her trace *my* writing, and I used it today to combine "math," spelling, and handwriting, by writing (neatly) a page of number-words (four hundred forty-four, etc) and having Madison *trace* them, just writing over my pencil lines (while memorizing the spelling). And low and behold, she traced them just great. Really. I had her trace the words three times, in three different colors, and they looked beautiful. Kind of indistinguishable from my handwriting. And she didn't mind the whole thing at all. No tears.

Laura, any insight? Any criticism if I continue on this track? You're the expert in The Writing Road to Reading, so I need your advice. Maybe you have some objection to this that I haven't thought of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tracing - - hmmmmm - - I'm having trouble pulling together a good argument why, but for some reason, it makes me nervous.

WRTR scripture is very clear:
The way you construct each letter is important. Unsupervised tracing could allow her to do things out of order, or lift her pencil when she shouldn't, or do any number of no-no's and still produce a good looking results.

If you're going to use HWT, just wait and see what they have to say about instruction.

Sorry; I feel less than useless here.