We, meaning the whole family, are absolutely enthralled with listening to the Charlie Bone series of books on tape. This is Jenny Nimmo's Children of the Red King series. We're midway through book #4 (Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors) of five existing books, and a sixth book is coming out next month. Simon Russell Beale reads these books on CD, and he is fabulous, so fabulous that for me and the girls, listening to these CDs beats reading them ourselves. Charlie Bone is really similar to Harry Potter in many respects, in that it's about children with magical powers at a boarding school in England. But Nimmo is a better writer than Rowling, quite a bit darker, with fewer monsters with scales and more monsters in the shape of evil relatives.
Adrienne, make SURE to order the sixth book as soon as it comes out on CD! I hope they're working on it even as we speak. Do you have magical ways of finding out if it's in production?
Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know, now that you mention it, I haven't seen any announcement for the new Charlie Bone on CD, so I sent an email to Listening Library to ask them about it. I've only listened to the first two in that series, but I agree that they're good stories and excellent recordings. I just recommended the series to a kid the other day.
Of course, your recommendation prompted me to add Children of the Red King to our new series binder wiki. Have you seen it yet? It's at:
http://seriesbinder.lishost.org/
I'm very excited about it, and we have big plans for adding to and improving it as we go along and get more people involved.
Anyway, that's kind of a tangent. I will be sure to get back to you when I hear on the newest Charlie Bone recording....
I just heard back from Listening Library and they say they don't currently have any plans to do the newest Charlie Bone. Boo to that. I'm going to BookExpo America (big publishing conference) the weekend after next. I'll make a point of stopping by the booth and see if I can talk to someone about it. Quite often the people who actually make decisions about what the company acquires and records are around at conferences like that....
Post a Comment