Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My third-grade diary

I was doing some major cleaning and reorganizing this past weekend, and found my third-grade diary. I had gotten it for Christmas of 1977. I wrote in it faithfully through February, and then in spurts until the summer. We sat around and read from it.

There are some great entries, the best of which are written DIRECTLY to my children. Yes, I had the sense that some day my kids would see the diary, and I was thinking about what they'd be like. So I had the foresight to say hello to them at various points. On Monday, February 20, 1978, I wrote this:
If it is my husband or my children reading it, you might ask me to show you my little girl sunbonnet. (As told about yesterday.)
The girls were amazed; indeed, I *have* the sunbonnet my parents had brought back from their trip to Lancaster County Pennsylvania. The girls have used it for a couple of years. And to see it written about, in a note to THEM from 30 years ago...wow.

Madison immediately got inspired to start writing in her journal.

One small thing: As a homeschooler, I was a little flummoxed to see that my spelling and handwriting, as a third grader, clearly eclipsed Madison's now. I went to public school; Madison is supposed to be better than me in every respect. Right? Right? Now I know this isn't reasonable. But still.

I did actually seem to like school at the time. BUT...I loved this entry from June 28:
This is the last day of school. Boy am I glad to be out of the grind!

No comments: