Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Mending drawers and the like

I know this is ridiculous to post, but I had this actual accomplishment today: I mended a kitchen drawer before it really broke. I know what you're thinking. No, this post won't get any more profound than it seems right now. Feel free to go read something worthwhile.

I noticed that part of the front panel of the drawer was starting to pull away from the sides. It would only be a matter of time before it splintered on the right side entirely, which would require actual skill to fix. David and I both have a pathetic history of house mending: We usually wait until something is seriously broken before fixing it, and even then we often think of a way around it. (His sock drawer on the dresser broke before we left Virginia, so we promptly...let it go until it was really unusable, emptied out that drawer, and used the nightstand drawer for socks. And, don't even ask about the bathroom sink. That's fixed now, though, thanks to Steve the plumber.)

Anyway, I said to myself today, thinking of the unmended drawer in Ella's room: "No! Enough! I'm going to FIX it, damn it!" And I left the girls to their own educational devices (they promptly decided to play Killer Bunnies) while I fetched the drill and a long screw, carefully drilled a new hole, and after a moment of power-screwing...voila. A nice, tight drawer that is not going to break any time soon.

I feel powerful. I hear Mission Impossible music playing in the background. I may go stalk Ella's dresser.

No comments: