A friend of mine has been having some odd chest and neck pain, and had what is known as a "nuclear stress test" on Thursday afternoon.
After the doctors at the clinic viewed the test results, they chose to rush her to the hospital, thereby giving all of her friends (figurative) heart attacks.
She had an angiogram yesterday. Her heart seems to be fine, and no artery blockages. "You seem to be fine," they told her. "You can probably go home this afternoon."
Of course, in the late afternoon, they told her they wanted her to stay overnight for observation.
God damn the medical profession.
To cover themselves and make themselves seem like they really knew what they were talking about, they loaded my friend up with all kinds of precautions about not gripping things or picking things up for days because they had to insert the catheter in her wrist and it all has to heal.
My friend is a much better patient than I am. I'm so skeptical of the medical profession that I would pretty much ignore all of that nit-picky cautionary advice and go on my own proprioception instead, at least as long as the tests showed I was relatively healthy. My friend, though, has a host of other medical issues, and so she doesn't monkey around.
She got released from the hospital this afternoon and will be staying with us for a day or two. I can tell you this, my house is a LOT more relaxing than the hospital. She's on the couch in the TV room, and has been asleep for 3 hours.
Anyway, the girls and I spent the better part of two days in the hospital, and not a peep of complaint from either of them. They hung out and read and did their work. So I took the Best Kids in the Whole World to Chili's last night. I am feeling very fortunate right now, to have my health, fairly low stress, a lovely husband, and wonderful children. I don't need anything else. Not even a beautiful piece of stained glass for my bathroom. Really, I don't need it.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment