In recent weeks, Madison has begun swaying. She shifts her weight back and forth from foot to foot when she should be just standing still, and sometimes even lifts each foot off the ground.
She looks like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. And it's driving me nuts. I see her doing it out of the corner of my eye, and it makes me feel just like those IMax movies do, the ones that are supposed to make you feel like you're flying or on a roller coaster. I literally start to get motion sick.
When Madison focuses on her body, she's fine. But when she's thinking about something else or talking or whatever, that's when it starts. I remind her to have a sense of her body, and it stops for a minute or two, then it starts up again. I sometimes take hold of her shoulders and bring the swaying to a halt, to make her notice how very much her body is moving when she doesn't notice. I have even been guilty of a "Madison, for pity's sake! You're making me dizzy!" at the third or fourth reminder.
It doesn't happen when she's sitting, only when she's standing. She explained it once as an urge to feel her legs (knees, I think) moving against each other.
I feel as though I have to nip this in the bud or it could become an ingrained habit. I just can't have her going through life moving like Rain Man. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but it's just driving me crazy. I hope it's a phase.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I guess I would say something too. I've got nose pickers and I have no qualms about correcting that behavior.
That's interesting. I find my daughter's swaying to be the least irritating of her mildly obsessive-compulsive behaviors (so labeled by her pediatrician). In fact, I think her violin teacher encouraged her to sway in order to help her focus on the matter at hand.
It seems to work for her in violin, singing, and during recitations. She is aware of it and will mention it from time to time, so maybe that's why I'm not concerned about trying to stop it.
Post a Comment