Friday, August 21, 2009

I had the perfect face for radio this morning

Yesterday, the media group that owns several radio stations in town asked me to become a regular on Friday mornings, on two of their most popular stations...starting TODAY.

Of course, I said yes. I like being on the radio. The exposure is priceless. And it went very, very well; I hadn't expected it, but for one of the stations (WARM 101.3), I basically blended in to become just part of the gang on the radio for an hour or so, from 7:40-8:40. I'm so happy that I now get to do this every week! And they even gave me my own parking spot in the garage...B-80. Whoa.

I will confess to a bordering-on-irrational love of successful P.R.

Oh, and speaking of successful P.R., here is a link to yesterday's News 10 NBC spot on KidsOutAndAbout.com. MSNBC even picked it up! It's been quite a week.

5 comments:

tm said...

Fabulous! You'll be a staple for all parents in Rochester and the surrounding areas.

Lynne said...

That is all very exciting! Congratulations.

How do the girls feel about being on TV, or is it old-hat for them?

Deb said...

They've been on TV before, but not very recently, so it was a little different and fun. They're used to posing in photos for the web site, they've come to the radio station, and they're used to talking with people I know in the media or who run organizations or who give us free tickets, and they're used to people coming up to us and saying, "Hey, aren't you Madison and Ella? I read your mom's web site." Also, everyone almost without exception is nice and friendly to them here, so they've never had occasion to be wary of talking with strangers about the web site or their lives as home schoolers, or whatnot. So while occasionally they're a little shy, they're not awed. I like this being a side benefit of their home-schooling childhood: That they see me, daily, interacting with people in person and on the phone.

To the extent that I have a mission, you know, it's helping parents get the idea that reason should be the standard of parenting, and cultural literacy a major goal. And, also, I want people to realize that home schooling is a normal thing to do, and can be accomplished by normal people who care about their kids' education. I know that none of this comes across in the TV spot, and I'm not heavy-handed about it on the radio or on the web site... my goal is for it to seep in naturally to readers' consciousness over the course of time... it's my personal everyday activism.

(By the way, as I expand starting next year, I'll be looking for site editors who have the same qualities, and who like to write a LOT and can connect with diverse audience every week, and who like doing this kind of P.R. too. Obviously, I'd love for this to be a network of reasonable, thoughtful people who share my philosophy. It will be a challenge!)

Rosalie said...

Rock on, Debra!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Go, you! This is where excellence leads. I was talking to a parent just this morning who is considering homeschooling and recommended she check out KOA to learn more about some of the many, many resources available in the area. She was thrilled to hear such a thing existed.