I mean: No thank you. I am flattered to have been asked, it really is an honor. I am always glad to help in a limited capacity. But no.
No, I can't serve on another nonprofit arts organization board of directors.
Make sure I don't give in, people. Help me be strong.
4 comments:
Deb, we think you would make an excellent addition to our non-profit arts organization board of directors. Would you consider it?
(As practice makes perfect, I thought I'd give you some more opportunities to hone your refusal. Good luck.)
Hell no! I have no patience with prima dona artsy types who think the world revolves around them.
Er...that is...
No, thank you. But I'll be happy to help you with publicity.
Sometimes Tammy and I practice saying no in this way. Sometimes, you just have to do it. Doing too many things--or the things that aren't a good fit--can be so draining. (I'm a fine one to talk, of course, with the way I tend to overcommit myself.)
As my sister, who is also asked for many of these things, says, "If you always say yes, the requests will increase. If you say no once or twice, they will stop coming." I, too, am asked all the time to be on committees. I have finally learned to strike a balance; if the committee can make a difference, then go for it. Otherwise, someone else will do it and you won't be faulted. NO ONE lists "invited to be on a committee but declined" on their CV or resume!
Post a Comment