On the local homeschooling list a few weeks ago, a woman named Amy who is trying to declutter offered her old upright piano to a good home. I was skeptical, but went over and fell in love -- it's a 1913 piano that has *always* been in her house (a cool c. 1910 arts-and-crafts in Rochester near Writers & Books). I knew that piano had to be in our house.
David got three young RIT math guys (two of whom, fortunately, had muscles, because that piano is HEAVY). I was cooking a delicious dinner for them and their girlfriends as a thank-you. They got to the house and discovered that the U-Haul van was too small, so David called me, and I did some quick thinking and sweet-talked the local Home Depot into renting me their flatbed truck for a few hours. You know that everything always takes longer and is more difficult than you thought it was going to be, but at the end of the evening we had our piano and the kids had a nice (if late) pork dinner.
I will be having it tuned and the beginnings of repairs starting Oct 2. It needs new keys (ivories chipped away on half the keys), and some internal repairs, but I am so excited. I can't believe we got it for NOTHING. It's in the dining room now, we'll see if it remains there. The girls had been outwardly skeptical about our getting it, telling me over and over how they prefer their keyboard, but once it gone in the house they couldn't help going over and playing it, I had to drag them away this morning.
And, piano lessons with their new teacher start next Wednesday!
I will get photos up as soon as I find the darned connector wire for my camera to the computer. Still haven't downloaded the Bermuda photos.
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment