Friday, December 12, 2008

Barnes & Noble coupon today only


My kids sing in the Bach Children's Chorus here in Rochester. I'm on the board of directors, and I have been doing a huge amount of work this fall getting stuff going for them, trying to move them to places they deserve to be but haven't yet pursued. One of the things I am working on is getting the kids to sing at the rededication of the Lincoln Monument on May 30 as part of the Lincoln Bicentennial next year. I also just a week ago got them a gig to sing New Year's Eve at the kick-off to Rochester's 175th Anniversary celebration. They were looking for 175 kids to sing "When You Wish Upon A Star" just before the fireworks go off (at 9:30pm, not midnight -- yes, we are a family-friendly town) which just happens to be in the BCC's repertoire. The goal then was to get another 125-135 kids to sing with us, because we only have about 40-50 who might be able to sing. I sent out a note on my e-newsletter to parents on Wednesday (goes out to about 8000 parents) and got 90 kids so far signed up. So, I'm glad about that, because despite all of this work for it, we Rosses will miss the event--we won't actually be in town New Year's Eve.

They have already sung at six shows of the Nutcracker, and Handel's Messiah (which Madison missed because she was too busy with a stomach bug), and a taping at the local CBS TV affiliate. They'll sing next Friday night, too. And last night, the kids sang at Barnes & Noble, which has a wonderful donation division for nonprofits. We set it up so that 10% of all purchases at B&N anywhere in the country, yesterday and today only, will go to the Bach Children's Chorus of Rochester, NY. You have to give them a coupon at the register.

So, on the total off-chance that you happen to be heading to Barnes & Noble today, can you use the coupon? Thanks. Here is the link to the PDF file for you to print out:

http://bachkidsusa.org/PDF/BNFundraiser.pdf

No comments: