I do love this work-home life I've carved out for myself. I really do. I haven't worked at an office in 14 years. And I'm happy that I don't. I never want to again.
But...
It so happened that I stayed extra-long at the radio station today after I was on the air, because I got into a chat with one of the DJs and the program director. We talked about some ideas for upcoming mutual promotions. It was just like the kind of feedback and professional visibility that I used to get around the water cooler back at the publishing company I used to work at in the early 1990s. I almost didn't want to leave.
They invited me out to lunch in 10 days or so, just for fun. And you know, I'm really looking forward to it. It's not just networking, although it kind of is networking. It touched the businessperson in me in a way that hasn't happened in a very long time, even though I've had lots of lunches with clients. We scheduled it for a day that the girls are at an all-day homeschooling camp.
Don't worry, I'm not going to send the girls to school. But it did drive home to me how very much more I could accomplish during the workday if my business colleagues weren't 8 and 10 years old. And, that if I incorporate a little more of this into the work-life balance, that would be a good thing.
Friday, October 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment