Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Auditions for "Schoolhouse Rock"

Madison is auditioning tonight for a theatrical production of Schoolhouse Rock, in which the actors are kids age 10-16. I don't know much about the script, but it features all of the great songs we remember and love. Her audition song is "I'm Just a Bill" (though she could have chosen "The Preamble" or "Interjections").

She's concerned because she has no natural dancing talent. (Not that I emphasize it to her, but she says it, and she's right. She is quite the thudder. Grace is not her strong suit.) But she's always been able to get by on brains when it comes to choreography; that is, she's a quick learner, she's good at remembering steps when they're taught to her. And in an audition, that serves her well.

Funny thing is, she's quite blasé about the whole audition, which makes me happy. She's not nervous. She really has perspective on the affair. I asked her about it this morning, why she is so cool about it. She answered that she knows she can sing, and do many things well, so even if she doesn't get in, she's okay with that. She's auditioned before for small things, so she knows what it's like. And, she's only going for the chorus, not for any of the main speaking parts. It's all probably fun, but not a big deal, she does a lot.

Perfect attitude, and she didn't even have to hear it from me! Hope she does well tonight, though. We'll know by Saturday.

Update: The Fates decided that since I thought I was so freakin' smart about my own kid, they'd send Madison into a panic attack about the audition not 10 minutes after I hit the "publish post" button.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

That would be so fun. I love those songs! I hope Madison did as well as she hoped to do.

Anonymous said...

It takes such courage to audition for something, to invite that kind of critique. I give people who do it a lot of credit.

I am now going to be singing "Interjection" for the rest of the evening. Love that song.