Monday, December 07, 2009

Last night was Ella's first Messiah

The Bach Children's Chorus was in the Rochester Chamber Orchestra's annual production of Handel's Messiah last night. It was Ella's first one. It would have been Madison's third one except she had a doozy of a stomach virus last year. It started at 7pm and got out at 9:30 (The Messiah is very long.) The kids were only in 4 numbers (I think) but they had to be on stage the whole time.

Two years ago, some of the BCC kids (NOT Madison) started playing finger games on stage while they weren't singing. It was visible from the audience. I was mortified, and I'm sure the offender's parents were even more mortified. And then this year, instead of an afternoon performance, it was a night performance. Ella has never made it through the Messiah before, and THIS time she was singing in it. So to try to ensure that the girls were okay and didn't totally wilt on stage, I fed them Coke and chocolate chip cookies before they went on. Whether it was psychological or the effect of the sugar and caffeine, they did fine.

It was a good thing I was sitting where I couldn't see their faces, though. (M was behind the adults and E was on the risers on stage right and when they were sitting and waiting, I couldn't see her face.) This is because I would have not been listening to the music; instead I would have been analyzing their faces to make sure that they were still in the land of the conscious. As it was, I was able to enjoy the music, and next year, if they're in it again, I think I'll just simply be able to relax.

Rochesterians ovate anything, but this performance did merit it this time. So I felt no ambivalence at all about standing up with the rest of the audience.

Only two more performances to go for the season: Ella has a dance recital on Friday evening and they both have one more BCC concert.

Now my main problem is that I have to figure out Christmas presents. Sigh.

No comments: