I checked out John Enright's philosophy suggestions (actually, the White book, Philosophy for Kids, wasn't a suggestion, just a pointer) and have been talking the matter over with David.
There really isn't much out there. I guess I was looking for a history of philosophy for kids. White's book approaches it by organizing the subject around these kinds of open-ended questions that contemporary philosophers seem to love, with the goal of helping kids think about these "big questions" so that they get interested in philosophy. David took a more detailed look at the book and really hated it.
David's point is: When we teach science or math, we don't teach kids the bad, wrong ideas that people have come up with over the ages, except occasionally (e.g., Lamarck) as a means to show what the right answers are. But philosophy, which should be approached this way as well, never is; it's always questions like "When a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?" "Can computers think?" These questions make kids think that somehow everyone's answer is valid...it's just philosophy. He thinks we need to actually teach the right ideas, and then when they're older start exposing them to the wrong formulations, as a means of solidifying the right ideas.
I think I disagree, slightly. I mean, we're already actively teaching logic. Whenever we're presented with an idea, we analyze it from a rational perspective, and discuss it in a way that Madison can understand and participate in. She has already really enjoyed some of the history of philosophy that I've presented her with (i.e., Aristotle and Plato...we did a little overview of The School of Athens). I'm thinking that it would be possible to present her with a kids' version of a history of philosophy that would be appropriate and interesting.
Except one doesn't seem to exist.
What I think I really need is an Objectivist approach to a history of philosophy, for kids.
Maybe one could be created. Takers?
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Deb! I posted a belated reply to your comments over at my blog, but wanted to reply here, too.
I just checked my Story of the World: Ancient Times book and there are really no stories of the pre-Socratic thinkers. But I think they might be a good place to start. Telling the stories of Thales thinking all was water and Heraclitus thinking all was flux might be interesting to her. Why did they think that? Why were they wrong? What did they get right?
I'll look for some kind of book along those lines, because I can see that we might be walking down a similar path in a few years (my inquisitive son is only 5).
Bye!
Post a Comment