
The next day, we had a really good Thanksgiving dinner. David and Tony took Madison and Dario on an insane hike up the same waterfall we did at Conklin's Gully in October, only this time in very very cold and wet weather with wet leaves on the ground. They had a good time. I had a good time staying home and cooking in my nice warm kitchen. Tatiana had a nice time grading papers in my nice warm kitchen.
Then, of course, the squirrel ran over my cooling pumpkin pie outside my kitchen door:

But of course that could not keep us from eating around it. Tony said, "Hey, I'm Cuban. I'm honored to be eating the pie that was signed by an American squirrel." He probably wouldn't eat it if Castro signed it, though.
The bad news is that I did a taste test with two pies: using canned pumpkin, and using fresh pumpkin that I baked myself. The fresh one won hands-down. Too bad, because it's a lot more effort than opening up the $1.69 can from Libby's.
I discovered that there is nothing like having several people with discriminating taste buds tell you that the new Roasted Garlic Squash Soup you devised this year was the best thing at Thanksgiving dinner.
The next day was Madison's first of three days performing with the Bach Children's Chorus in The Nutcracker:

It was at the Eastman Theatre. It was beautiful. I cried. Of course. The administrative director of the BCC told me that parents of first-year participants cry a lot.
Before they left, Tony and Tata helped us totally rearrange the living room and the church room. We moved the TV into the church room, along with the black leather furniture. A definite improvement, and much more cozy to watch TV, especially with the space heater going.
This week, clients exploded all over me. AAAAGH! It's the holiday russh! every active and inactive client seemed to say. I NEED HER HELP NOW. The girls were happy to cede a lot of their school time to my clients. I was not happy to cede a lot of their school time to my clients. I felt guilty. But we got three cool science projects made today, all dealing with weather. We made a rain gauge that we think will work, a weathervane that definitely worked, and a wind meter that was too flimsy to work.
Today, just as I was finishing up my weekly KOA e-newsletter, Ella came in and told me that it was "raining" in the doorway of her room. Madison had just flushed the toilet right above said room. Ah, the joys of an old house. I emailed our real estate agent, who knows everyone around here,
If, hypothetically, you had a pipe burst under your attic-floor bathroom after your 8-year-old flushed the toilet, and you knew about it because the water started dripping down into your 6-year-old's room in the frame of her door and she came down and told you it was raining in her room, and you figured that the ceiling was going to have to be opened up to get at the issue...well, after you turned off the water to the toilet in question, who would you, personally, call?
She emailed me back:
Well, of course, speaking "hypothetically"...I'd go shopping & not come home until someone else had handled the problem! I'm thinking the Woodbury outlet downstate??
Then she gave me the names of a couple of plumbers. Sigh.
This weekend we have two hours of rehearsals tomorrow morning for the next concert, which is Sunday evening and (yay!) Tom and Susan will be joining us for it. Both Madison AND Ella are in this concert. Will post photos next week. We have Wigilia on Saturday afternoon, which is a traditional Polish Christmas Eve event that the Polish Society of Rochester puts on every year at the RMSC.
And now, the whole family is watching Ratatouille (that took me three tries to spell) in front of the TV with some Chinese food because I had absolutely no time to cook today. I'd better join them.
No comments:
Post a Comment