Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's the Nash-Silverstein-Enright influence, I think

We haven't been paying an unusual amount of attention to poetry, lately, but Madison has been excited about writing it in the last week or so. Her poetry used to aim at flowery free-verse language, but now she's playing with rhythm and rhyme and cleverly-made-up words more than she used to. (Not at my behest, this is her own doing.)

She's quite pleased with what she wrote today:
I am always happy.
I am always gleeful.
And it's that happy gladness
That makes me so me-ful!


She loved this Easter rhyme of John Enright's from the other day:
If you see a chocolate rabbit,
grab it.

And, calmly, with aplomb,
go nom nom nom.


I'm thinking it's partly this little poem that has gotten her writing a lot in the last several days. Thanks, John!

2 comments:

John Enright said...

You're welcome. I must say, gleeful and me-ful is a wonderful rhyme indeed, and me-ful is a great word.

Susanna Fessler said...

I'll confess; I don't really like Silverstein at all. I love Ogden Nash (my mom's influence, for sure). And, I'm embarrassed to say, haven't read enough of John's poetry to say either way. But, here's a recommendation: do you have "The Ode Less Travelled" by Stephen Fry? It's a ton of fun, and educational at the same time.