Monday, April 20, 2009

A new hobby for Madison

Last Friday, the girls and I made majority of the third of four quilts for my friend Anne's children. I made one when Charlotte was born in 1992, then for Wyatt in 2006 the girls "helped" me make a lovely yellow-and-blue quilt that we got in time for the baby shower three months before he was born. Duncan was born in late 2007, but life has been such a busy ride since then that poor Duncan hadn't gotten one, and here he is 16 months old. Now that Anne is expecting the fourth (a girl!) in August, I decided that busy or no, Baby #3 needed his quilt before Baby #4 arrived. And so I give you the Froggy Good Friday quilt (or Lucky Friday, as Ella has taken to calling it):



Can you tell that it is meant to be "boxes of frogs"? That's a frog pattern within the boxes.

That quilt is now winging its way downstate, and we hope Duncan loves it. I have a feeling that having mastered an easy quilt, the girls will have some bigger plans for New Girl Baby Quilt a little later on in the season.

As a result, Madison has taken to the sewing machine in a big way. She has liked hand-sewing, but mastering the use of the sewing machine is a Big Step. (She's always been somewhat skittish about things that could potentially hurt her in some way.) She now sees all of her old hand-sewing efforts as terribly clumsy compared with what she is able to do on the machine. She's very excited, and today she started sewing a tiny quilt on her own with some of the scraps from Duncan's quilt. One seam had to be ripped out 3 times, but she still didn't get discouraged. I think maybe this is a new obsession.

No comments: