Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Testing, testing

We both started and finished standardized testing today. I used the CAT--the California Achievement Test--for second and fourth grade. I thought it would be a lot more fuss than it actually was. The girls, even Ella, actually enjoyed themselves. (She read everything without fuss and usually finished even the language sections earlier than the allotted time. The test was quite a bit easier than the prep booklet. The math was laughably easy, Ella could have done all of Madison's except for the one long division problem.) I'll probably do this every year rather than write a year-end evaluation essay, even though in New York State we only are bound to do testing every other year starting in 4th grade.

I will send the tests and booklets back to Seton Home Study School Testing, and they'll give us a scorecard of sorts. Easy-peasy, and pretty cheap.

1 comment:

Shez said...

I find myself being very irritated by the CAT. It's super easy and tells us nothing. It's just a hoop we have to jump through. My kids could have aced the 2nd grade test at the beginning of K. They took less than half an hour to whizz through the test.

I didn't bother with the test prep booklet because we all remembered how ridiculously easy the first grade test was. My kids were rather insulted by the test. LOL