Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Remember, she's still so young

I sometimes have to remind myself that Ella is still a little kid, and not rush her into being bigger or more mature than she is.

She happened upon an old "Wee Sing" video, and this time paid attention to the fact that there are more that exist than the two that we have. So yesterday we found some at the library, just for her. Even though they're really for preschool-kindergarten and she is 8, she has been enjoying them. I guess if she were at school and talked about this, she might be ridiculed for liking "baby stuff." But I so want both the girls to be free to be *who they are*--and so this is a good experience for me. Just because Ella is singing in the Messiah in a few weeks, for example (the Bach Children's Chorus performs in this each year and they're on stage for 3-and-a-half hours), doesn't mean she doesn't still enjoy being a child. I need to remember to give them the options to enjoy exactly what they enjoy.

I think we'll go back and read some excellent picture books. The language in those is often much more sophisticated than in the chapter books she's reading now, anyway.

2 comments:

Susanna Fessler said...

I think about this often. Max, who is in middle school now, still loves to have me sing a lullaby to him. I'm happy to do it, as long as he wants it (and I secretly swear to myself NEVER to tell his friends). I think that, on the frontier, this must have happened often; kids were busy with adult chores, but they were still kids.

Anonymous said...

This prompted me to try to find the Bach Children's Chorus schedule, but the only one I can find is for the 2008-2009 season. Is there a current one online that I'm just missing?