Saturday, January 24, 2009

I live for afternoons like this

I've been listening to an audio rendition of Gordon Wood's book Revolutionary Characters lately. Wood is an extremely clear writer, who, fairly economically, gives us a wonderful comprehensive introduction to the characters of America's founding.

I put it on here in the kitchen while I've been cleaning and cooking this afternoon. About 40 minutes ago, Madison wandered in with her sewing kit. "Okay if I sit here and listen and sew?" she asked.

(Are you kidding? I LIVE for this, child!)

"Sure. Enjoy."

We've been hearing all about Thomas Paine. Next is Aaron Burr. Madison says she doesn't understand a lot of what is being said, and she's not asking any questions, but she's still content to sit and listen to an explanation of the ideas of America's founding.

This has always been my vision of how life/school/intellectual & personal growth should be (not the lack of questions, of course, but the interest and harmony). I would love to think that this is just the beginning for her.

I'm pretty much done with what I was going to do here in the kitchen, and was going to go work on some accounting stuff downstairs. But Madison is so happy sitting here, and sewing, and listening, that I can't bring myself to break the rhythm.

Think I'll make a pumpkin pie.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

We've had days like this. I want more days like this. Thanks for the reminder.

Jenn Casey said...

Sounds lovely!

I'm going to look into this series--I know Ryan would enjoy it very much.

Deb said...

It's not really a series, it's one adult book that I got on audio CD from the library. And it will be way above Ryan's head, but go for it.