"Lime rix? Spell it, please."
"L-I-M-E-R-I-C-K-S."
Can you believe I have never taught my children what a limerick is? How could that be? It is true. But I couldn't believe that she had never come across one. I thought we must have discussed it. So I told her one. Actually, I didn't tell her one, exactly. What I said was:
Duh DUH-duh duh DUH-duh duh DUH,
Duh DUH-duh duh DUH-duh duh DUH.
Duh DUH-duh duh DUH-duh,
Duh DUH-duh duh DUH-duh,
Duh DUH-duh duh DUH-duh duh DUH!
She gave me her patented Madisonian you-have-taken-leave-of-your-senses look. So I told her this one:
The tutor who tooted the flute
Tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
Said the two to the tutor,
Is it harder to toot,
Or to tuter two tooters to toot?
What are your favorites? It would be fun to torture her with more.
4 comments:
In the spirit of the season, and because I first heard this while living in a very chilly Montreal, here's my submission (written by John Cicardi, I think):
There once was a small boy in Quebec
Stood buried in snow to his neck.
When asked “Are you friz?”
He said, “Yes, I is
But they don’t call this cold in Quebec!
Is it too soon to teach them haiku?
It's a poetry form where, it's true,
many ideas and thought
can be pondered or taught,
But stay away from Spam focused haiku!
It's true, I eat it.
I don't regret it.
Lite only!
A frustrated student named Madison
declared "Hide-and-seek's what I'm baddest in.
I've looked high and low.
Now where did he go?
I cannot find which room my dad is in!"
(Obviously this is not your Madison, since she would never say "baddest".)
Wow, thanks so much, everyone! We really enjoyed these.
Post a Comment