Monday, May 04, 2009

The Puppy Place books

I love great kids literature.

But I can deal with it when my kids read kind of badly-written books -- especially in Ella's case.

I want her to WANT to read. I want it not to be a struggle.

I suggested that David get her a gift card to Barnes & Noble for her birthday this year, rather than buying her the books outright. A) Ella loves to shop and B) we stand a better chance of her wanting to read it if she buys the book.

I was right. Sunday, I took her to B&N and she got several of the new "Puppy Place" series of books. Oh, they are nothing books. But she loves them. She loves puppies, so that helps. She has been reading outside this morning, pretty happily.

(Oh, well...she just came in and asked, "Can I stop now? I'm on Chapter 8."

Sigh.

My answer was, "Sure, if you want to do handwriting." She fled back outside, book in hand.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Step by step. :)