Friday, June 23, 2006

Green beans!

I neglected to say earlier this week, because I hadn't downloaded the photos from my digital camera yet, that we started picking green beans earlier this week and BOY, are they great. These are fantastic green beans.

The irony of our Great Green Bean Gardening Adventure is this: My kids actually LIKE green beans. But from A CAN. They're crazy. (This is not the first time I have said this about these children.) I got Ella to try one of the nice, fresh-from-the-garden green beans (well, as fresh as it can be after you overcook it to try to replicate that delectable "canned" quality). She tried it. She didn't like it.

Madison loves these green beans. She loved soaking the beans overnight in some water and seeing how they sprouted. She loved planting them in a row at the back of our garden in the Delicious Dirt that I'd purchased especially for the occasion. She loved measuring two bean plants, whom she named Sheen and Gene, to compare their growth. She loved seeing the little purple flowers, and then the baby green beans. She adored picking them that first day. But eating them? No way.

This is not supposed to happen; all of the child rearing experts say that gardening is a great way to get your kids motivated to try new vegetables. Ha.

So it looks like David and I will be eating our fill of fresh green beans, alone.


No comments: