Madison insisted on reading the second Cul-de-Sac Kids book this weekend, just because she knew I was planning to return it unread to the library. When I asked her how it was, she was unenthusiastic. "There wasn't as much God stuff in it," she said. I'm pretty sure that this was what was making it thrilling for her on the first book, and I suspect that the author just isn't that good at spinning a story. I don't think she'll be asking for another. This is, of course, fine by me.
She's really enjoying the Ballet Shoes book by Noel Streatfield. One of her assignments last week was to read until she'd found 10 words that she doesn't know, to write down and discuss. For some reason, this really embarrassed her. The kid is already into the stage of not wanting me to embarrass her for ANYTHING. Anyway, I can certainly see that there are some things that really are embarrassing that I wouldn't do in front of her friends, but if I let her decide that not knowing something is legitimately embarrassing, I'll never get anywhere with teaching her stuff that she doesn't know! So we worked through the "embarrassment" part of that lesson and she came up with 10 great words. (The book is 1930s British, so it wasn't hard to find them, and she used this, herself, as an "excuse" for not having known them. I told her, "You're SIX! You think you're supposed to know everything NOW? Wait until you see how much more there is you don't know. That's part of the excitement of life.")
Monday, June 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment