Thursday, June 12, 2008

Editor wants to see the book!

Is it bad luck that the first editor to whom one has pitched the book wants to see it? The editor from that Perfect Pitch contest I entered last week wants me to send her a summary page and the first three chapters.

Good thing we objectivist-types don't believe in bad luck.

And it's a good thing it's not the last three chapters she wants to see.

3 comments:

John Enright said...

If it were luck it would be of the good kind. As I recall, Rand sold the Fountainhead when it was still unfinished.

Deb said...

Oh, really? Wow. Somehow, that detail escaped me.

John Enright said...

Not trusting to memory, I looked it up again.

According to Who Is Ayn Rand, about 1/3 of T.F. was written when she signed a contract for the book. She then had a little more than a year to finish it. She got enough of an advance so that she took a long leave from her day job at Paramount. (p 202 of hardcover of WIAR)