


The big news in the Ross house this week is that Madison got glasses. Now, the fact is, many people have real problems, and so when one puts it all in perspective, no one has any business being too upset over the idea of getting glasses. Madison, understandably, was not thrilled with the idea. She didn't get worked up, but she was quite apprehensive about what she would look like, and she also worried that she would lose or damage them.
Confession: Who was the person most distressed by the idea of Madison getting glasses? I was. I'm pretty sure no one could tell from the outside, but I felt a sinking dismay when we got the verdict from the optometrist last month. You see, I was a bit younger than Madison when I got my first pair, and my eyes gradually worsened all the way into adulthood; I'm now essentially nonfunctional without corrective lenses. It's a pain. I had hoped that my kids would inherit my husband's vision genes, because I didn't want them to have to manage worsening eyesight. On the other hand, today's glasses are dramatically more attractive than they were 30 years ago. And I know, yes I KNOW, that thanks to technology, it's not a big deal. And that's the way I acted with Madison: casual. No big deal. But still.
How relieved I was yesterday when the Glasses Goddess at BJ's in Webster made Madison feel like a Fashion Queen as she fitted the glasses into place on her face for the first time. (BJ's has nice prices on glasses, too, by the way, definitely worth checking out.) Madison was amazed when she put them on. "Wow!" she said several times, as we walked through the store (because who can enter BJ's without shopping). She kept taking the glasses on and off, reading the signs hanging from the ceiling that she could now see. "Is this the way everyone sees?" This of course instantly made me stop feeling sad that my kid was going to have to manage imperfect vision... because, hey, now I felt guilty that we had perhaps waited too long to get the glasses. Ah, motherhood.
2 comments:
Oh wow! I got my first pair of glasses at 21. I knew I needed them when sitting at the back of the lecture hall in college, all I could see was how dirty and hazy the chalk board looked while everyone else actually copied notes. I finally realized that I couldn't see what others could. I had fuzzy vision for a long time but somehow it was never caught (so much for all of those eye exams in school--I must have been a good guesser). I was impressed to see all of the individual leaves on the trees, realizing what people meant by the man on the moon for the first time. I was disappointed to lose my 'non-glasses' status. Now my daughter wants glasses but doesn't need yet need them--what a change!
Oh yeah--and she looks cute!
Post a Comment