Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Nostril fluttering on demand

Sometimes, when Madison gets upset, she can get herself VERY worked up. She projects the worst thing that something could possibly mean, decides that it DOES mean that, and reacts accordingly. If you the parent decide to fight back with her, it makes it much worse -- it confirms that the issue is indeed worth getting upset about. She gets under David's skin more than she does mine; it's not that she's pushing his buttons on purpose; noticing the effects of her behavior on her parents just isn't even on the radar. Sometimes I laugh at her because I just can't help it, she gets so ridiculous; although it makes her kind of mad when I do it, it's actually better. It tells her that the issue is not worth getting so worked up about.

Last night, when Madison was getting all ready to launch into some hysterical diatribe or other, I noticed something weird. Her NOSTRILS were vibrating. FLUTTERING, actually. It was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. I couldn't contain myself; I had to hold in my sides. And what was really strange was that she could sort of control it; she could, by focusing, *make it happen* on demand. It has something to do with her chest muscles and neck muscles, she says.

The best part was that it really broke the tension. And she says she intends to keep doing it, that she'll be able to keep herself from getting too upset if she can just make us laugh.

1 comment:

tm said...

OK--I've noticed some very similar extra-sensitivity here. Could it be that dreaded "tweens" age? Oh my! How does any parent last for the next few years? And with a second coming up?

How awesome that she came up with something to diffuse the tension!