We made it to Martha's Vineyard yesterday.
I was a packing goddess. I had lists. I checked things off. I got the car "vacation serviced" last week. I had all bits of clothing we own washed by Sunday afternoon. I "shopped at home first" to get together a box of food and staples in a way that would have made Cindy proud and which saved me having to pay Island prices for things I already had. I packed the car Sunday afternoon by referring to mental rules of geometry, fitting this into that seamlessly. All we had to do Monday morning was put in those last bags and get out of town.
Except we couldn't get out of town. I happened to suggest that we stop for bagels on the way out, and the car died, right there in the parking lot of the Bruegger's. The AAA guy used Sprite to dissolve some of the crystals fountaining out of our battery enough that he got us jumped and on our way to the mechanic. The mechanic was so embarrassed that he hadn't noticed the battery problem last week that he got us in and out of there pronto with a new battery. So, I am lucky I was craving a little carb action on the way out of Rochester, or we'd have been stranded somewhere on the Thruway until we got someone to install a new battery.
And then, today, our first full day at the Vineyard, we were all set to go to the beach. No matter that it was foggy, we were excited to get out there in the sand and surf. The girls had new noodles and snorkels packed very carefully in the pool bag. We had our beach towels and books. The camera was charged. We were ready.
Except that the Packing Goddess had forgotten to pack my bathing suit.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment