Monday, August 25, 2008

I predicted it

I said on the phone to David as I was finally on my way home last week, "The girls have been so good that I really wouldn't be surprised if they relax a bit and start fighting with each other and complaining and fussing a bit when we're home."

Yep.

They spent the weekend kind of sniping at each other. Throwing (albeit minor) fits over nothing.

But I'm taking my observations last week to heart, and I'm not worrying about it. Managing things, of course, but without worrying about it. My kids are still the best.

Actually, Ella's whining may have been because she was coming down with a cold. She was up for hours last night and she and I are both really under the weather today.

If we have to be sick, it's so good to be home.

When I consider how actually bad things actually happen to some people, it's quite easy to maintain equilibrium, even when minor frustrations appear and kick at my shins. And no, it's not the ex-Catholic rising up in me and admonishing me that I have no right to be miserable when so-and-so has had it so much worse. Really, it's not that. Because I have known and loved people who have had actual tragedies and survived them, I draw on their strength and examples, and decide how I should be in the face of trouble. It has the effect of helping me maintain perspective.

3 comments:

Shez said...

I'm convinced that kids have only a finite amount of "good behavior" in them and when it gets used up, beware!

The trick is managing it so that you get the good behavior when traveling and when in public. My kids are exhausted because we spent a good portion of last night at the emergency vet. Today was truly horrid.

Hope the cold clears up quickly

Deb said...

I'm with you. Twelve days was a lot to ask.

I hope the puppy is doing better, Shez.

Shez said...

She came home about 2 hours ago and is as frisky as can be. We have no idea what the problem was, but thankfully it was nothing serious. I was terrified she was going to die. That kind of diarrhea and vomiting is tough on a 2 lb pup