Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Staying positive here in the Super 8 Motel

We're here in Kingston for one more night.

I hope.

The mechanic thinks he can finish the car tomorrow. Which is good because I returned my rental car this afternoon.

The kids have been SOOOOO good. I bought the little goddesses books this morning at Barnes & Noble. If there is one thing I have learned from this trip, it is that I have two kids who, when the chips are down, will go with the flow and stay cheerful and flexible--they'll just follow my lead. So what if they occasionally get a little crabby and whiny when they're at home? I no longer have to worry that somehow they'll turn out to be whiny adults. Because, already, at 7 and 8, they can do it right when it's important.

In the past, some of the force of my insistence that they not act like whiny kids has come from my determination not to raise whiny adults. People who give in to their kids' whining are doing them no service, certainly. I loathe whiny adults. But now, really, I know that I don't have to worry about Madison and Ella. This week has been great proof that they've already got this pretty much under control. It's not that I won't point it out in the future when they are whiny...of course I will...but I can do it with a more relaxed attitude, and a smile. What a load off my mind!

No comments: