Sunday, November 16, 2008

Clickstery solved

The Clicker has been missing from our house for the past 10 days.

I didn't lose it.

David certainly didn't lose it.

So it must have been one of those little critters, the ones who actually use the TV, who misplaced it after a David Attenborough viewing.

They were kind of distraught. They were reduced to watching the episodes of Fetch with Ruff Ruffman, Kim Possible, and What Not To Wear that we had already recorded, because there IS a "list" button on right there on the DVR box from Time Warner.

The TV room is very small. The critters insisted that they had searched every square inch of it. I took a desultory look in places that it might be in other parts of the house, but didn't see it. I let it go. Who needs TV, anyway? I've been too busy to watch it for years.

This morning, I decided to put some effort into looking for The Clicker, myself, because I had heard that there is a series about the science of the Universe on the History Channel which is playing on Tuesday, and as Madison has been lately discussing the scientific and philosophical aspects of the finite universe theory with us, I thought that this would be good to record. So I needed said Clicker.

I decided to check in the obvious first place to look, the place they had insisted they had scoured inch by inch: The cushions of the couch. You know, the one we always sit on while we're watching TV. There, under the cushions, was The Clicker. Along with two Other Clickers, the battery covering to the DVD player, the missing library book, about a dozen scrunchies, and countless pens. One can only wonder at the psychology of kids: They look in the couch, don't see The Clicker among all the other stuff in there, shrug, and then carefully replace the cushions without, say, transferring the DVD remote to its proper place next to the TV.

I got to make fun of the critters. They didn't like it. But they're glad to have The Clicker back.

No comments: