Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tagged but not tagging

I kind of don't get all this tagging business. Maybe I'm behind the times.

Lynne from 3-Ring Binder tagged me for a random six things about myself. So, I'll do it, because it's kind of fun, but I'm not going to tag other people in case they'd prefer not to be tagged. (If you'd like to be tagged, go ahead and tag yourself.)

Remember, people, these are random things, not the important things. So I think I'll do a rock-and-roll-through-my-ages theme.

1. My first rock-and-roll love was Shaun Cassidy. Someone gave me his debut album Shaun Cassidy for my 8th birthday in 1977, when the album had just been released. His hair looked greenish on the cover, but I didn't care. He made my little heart just "da do ron ron."

2. When I was 15, I spoke with Bruce Springsteen's drummer, Max Weinberg, on the phone. He had called our house, because my mother had taught him Algebra in the 8th grade in Maplewood, NJ. I was the only one home at the time, so I got to speak to him. ("This is Max Weinberg," he said, when I answered the phone. "It IS?" My voice rose several octaves in disbelief, and, okay, excitement. He laughed.)

3. In 1993, I spent an evening drinking with friends, badly singing all of the lyrics to Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. I finally understood the line in "The Boxer" about Seventh Avenue.

4. I have seen Rush seven times, the last two on my own in Madison Square Garden in 1994 and 1995.

5. Neil Diamond's voice reaches a place deep inside me. No one knows this at all, not even the chair. (Well, now you do.)

6. Whenever I hear Five For Fighting's song 100 Years, I reach for the tissues. It's that 39-and-a-half age getting to me.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Ooh. You're fast!

What a difference four and a half years make. I was more of a David Cassidy fan.

HaynesBE said...

I've always loved the melody of 100 years. Never took the time to really listen to the lyrics. Glad I did. Thanks for playing.