Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy to be average

Madison is one of those kids who is constantly evaluating herself. (Sometimes, she tries to insist that I give her grades. I resist.) She has fortunately come to grips with the fact that she is not perfect at everything, and handwriting has been one of those things that has helped her realize this.

Her handwriting, though, has gotten MUCH better this year. Much. And it has helped her with her work and her thinking; as she's able to write things down more quickly and legibly.

Here is how she described her handwriting today, proudly...

"My handwriting is extremely...average."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was one of those children who was constantly, constantly, constantly being chided for my poor handwriting. Finally, when I was in sixth grade, I decided I wanted to have nice handwriting, and I put all this effort into studying the way people shaped their letters, and I would spend time practicing at home, and today I get compliments on my handwriting all the time. :) I do always have empathy for kids with poor handwriting, though. I know it was something I found truly difficult at the time, especially cursive.