It's Girl Scout Cookie Time!
The girls had their big Cookie Kick-Off party last night for the Penfield Brownies/Girl Scouts. Today at 10am they were officially allowed to go out and sell.
Allowed.
There is a goal of 100 boxes per child. I have two children.
Madison wants to sell 1000 boxes. If we sell 1000 boxes, the prize is a video camera.
We went out this afternoon for an hour. We went around the block. They were happy, smiling, cute little Brownies. Only one house at which people were home refused them. We got nine people at home. 22 boxes.
And I am wiped out.
There is a new idea that Troop 835 will be doing this year, which is to offer to let them add on boxes for soldiers overseas. Boy, did that work -- half of the people decided to buy a box or two for the soldiers, too.
Let's see...we get to keep 55 cents for every box we sell. That's an hour of work I did, and Madison and Ella did, for the $12.10 our troop will get to keep. If we keep it up at 22 boxes per hour, that's only...nine more hours of this before we meet our quota.
When are we, as a culture, going to give up on all of this and just admit that it's a better use of our time to just, say, pay our own way? Heck, I'd even pay the way of other people's little Brownies if I could just opt out. Everyone knows we all hate doing this, but no one will admit it. And the girls love it. At least for the first hour. Then they start arguing about who is going to ring the doorbell and when are we going to go home because they're thirsty. And I, hungry for any excuse, am happy to hightail it home.
But, I should be grateful. David's cousin Connie was the Cookie Mom for her daughter's Brownie troop last year. And their cookie season was January! They tramped around for 30 days in January, and because they were probably the only ones brave enough to go out in the cold and snow, little Jessie sold over 500 boxes.
Anyway, if anyone wants to buy cookies (or, even better, add on one for the troops!), you can check them out at http://www.girlscoutcookies.org/meet_cookies.asp. And then email me at ross(at)axton.com. They're $3.50 per box. I will pay for shipping.
I know, I'm wimping out here.
Maybe someone has a bright entrepreneurial idea for how to sell them in bulk. If so, let me know!
Saturday, October 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Can the troop have a website through which orders can be placed? Seems like that would make sense, that way each troop and girl would get credit for the cookies sold and it would save having to tromp around the neighborhood.
I would place an order to help you out, but with diabetes and food allergies in our house, we don't usually partake (I think of it as a silver-lining to otherwise bad and decidedly inconvenient health conditions).
I have seen on the web that some girls have done this in the past, but apparently in the interest of "internet safety" the girls are now forbidden from selling on the internet.
Post a Comment