After almost two weeks of letting history fall by the wayside, we were just starting some more work on ancient Sumer this morning. Because David and I have been helping the girls brush up their geography skills lately, I thought I'd point out the map yet again in the book. Then I got out our Big Big World book, and also the globe, and had them find Sumer in both. It was actually kind of tricky, for them to transfer their understanding of a simple small line sketch of the Tigris/Euphrates Rivers and the Persian Gulf and the Arabian peninsula to find where those areas were on the more complex maps. It took a little while; I was interested to see that they were not very good at it.
But then that got us started on the "seas" of that part of the world, the Mediterranean and the Black and the Caspian and the Arabian, and that led to a discussion of Italy, and then we started talking about where all of the various ancestors came from, Scotland and Italy and Poland and the Ukraine, and then looked to find all of the routes they might have taken to get to the U.S. And THEN, providentially, the mom of one of Lara's friends showed up to borrow my camera, and as it happens her parents had run from the Nazis in Austria and ended up in Argentina where Monica was brought up, so she traced that route for us, too.
Sumer? Another day.
Oh, and I must report that Ella zipped through Go, Dog. Go! this morning. She's doing much better. It makes me wish that I'd been videotaping her reading right from the start. It feels too late to start now.
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment