I see some religious homeschoolers are really getting their panties in a bunch about The Golden Compass.
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
http://homeschoolbuzz.com/reviews.html?content=The-Golden-Compass--His-Dark-Materials-book-1-
It is said that Philip Pullman regards his books as the antidote to the religious messages of the Narnia series. We found the Narnia series fascinating, because the girls treated it as a fantasy series like any other; the religious parallels and messages passed them right by--they saw what happened in Narnia, and treated it as relevant only to the context of the Narnian world, not as relevant in our world.
Has anyone (from the group of the five or so of you who read this) read The Golden Compass or heard anything about it? If so, can you can give me the scoop? Adrienne? You must have an opinion. Some libraries seem to put it in Young Adult, some in the Children's section. I'm wondering if I should read it to see if it's appropriate for Madison.
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We saw it with the Klauers just after xmas and I enjoyed it. I did read that the book has more to it, of course, so it might be something to read for yourself, first. I'm planning to read the whole series now. :)
Post a Comment