It's early in the morning; I'm in bed with my laptop next to my feverish, wheezing, lightly sleeping 8-year-old; Madison's bronchitis is pretty bad, we've had several "incidents" over the past night. The humidifier is going, but I know that at some point she'll be catapulted awake and we'll make another trip into the bathroom where I'll let the steam from the shower give her some breathing relief. There will be no science club or gym-and-swim or karate today.
Thank goodness we home school; in order to have an "excused absence" I'd have to yank her out to the doctor, when it's obviously viral and all you can do is make her as comfortable as possible for the duration. This way we just get to spend all our time hanging around reading in bed or watching David Attenborough's wonderful nature videos from NetFlix.
I know a fair amount about anatomy, which is fortunate because they both have lots of questions about how our bodies work, particularly when they're sick. So we've been doing a lot of talking about lungs and the lymphatic system and white blood cells and viruses vs. bacteria and the color of mucus and why one drinks a lot of water at times like this, and the difference in effects between cough suppressants and expectorants.
Yesterday afternoon I gave Madison her first lesson in HTML, sitting in bed with the laptop; she cottoned on right away and made herself a master links page for the places she goes online.
Madison is stirring, snuggling into me. I think I'll put this aside and wrap myself around her -- like a big old leukocyte around a viral invader.
Monday, March 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment