I have a daily snuggling quotient, it seems, and Ella fulfills that, with much joy all around.
But. The girl has been in a growth spurt lately. Couple that with the fact that it's summer, and Ella (unlike Madison) radiates body heat. And also the fact that in her sleep she will fling her arms around you, or twine her legs through yours. Nice, but not very restful.
So. It's time.
She has chosen the prize she will get (four plastic coconut cups she's been coveting at Target) when she makes it to 7 nights in her own bed. She got the concession from us that if she comes in, in the middle of the night, we'll walk her back to her room and tuck her back in. (Not so restful as letting her cuddle in, but necessary.) She's on Day 5 and last night she made it all the way through in her own bed without coming in. Only 2 more days.
My baby! :-( Very bittersweet, for me.
On the other hand, last night I got great sleep and today I'm working like heck to finish my book this week, before we go on vacation.
Ella in 2002:
Ella in 2003:
Ella in 2008:
2 comments:
Oy! They grow up so fast, and you cling to the few remaining baby-like behaviors, hoping that they won't grow out of them too soon.
Even though my 4 1/2 yr. old is fully capable of walking down the stairs when I get her up in the morning (and has been for 2 yrs), it's been our tradition for her to wrap her arms around my neck, and I carry her down. Still, she's 4' tall and 50 lbs, so it's not as cute and easy as it used to be.
But until she recently started just walking down the stairs on her own as if it was the most normal thing in the world, I didn't realize how much I cherished that silly tradition.
About half the time, she still stands at the top of the stairs with arms outstretched, waiting for me to carry her. The other times, I sadly appreciate her independence and how she's grown. *sigh*
Oh, big sigh! My snuggly girl is only a little over 3 and still needs assistance in the middle of most nights. It's been my husband's job of late and I'll remind him to cherish it, because one day we'll be sad when she doesn't want or need us anymore.
Interestingly, she's also a heat generator (aka "hottie").
What a pretty baby Ella was--and a beautiful girl she's turned into!
Post a Comment