Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Biggest hits

The biggest hits this morning were

1) The Barbie 2-in-1 Party Plane and Cruise Ship


As I suspected, this was Numero Uno by far. I'm so glad I got it for Ella. Not only did she LET me play with it, she ASKED me to play with it. I got to be Hairstylist Barbie and teenaged daughter Barbie. Ella was both Mom Barbie and Dad Boybie. (We had gotten a male Barbie a few years ago, not Ken, but Blaine, the next guy, and Madison promptly named him Boybie. So Boybie he has remained.)

Madison was the cruise attendant Barbie and Captain. The Captain was a Prince Barbie, now demoted to both Pilot and Captain, depending on whether we're playing Cruise or Plane Flight.

Even better, it all folds up into a neat package for storage.

2) The Bike

Madison wanted to ride it in the house.

3) The Sled.

They're now out sledding in Ellison Park.

I'm going to take a walk by myself in Corbett's Glen across the street. Then I'm going to sew a comforter cover for our bed, because what other day of the year do I have the luxury of sitting around the house and watching America's Test Kitchen (of which I've taped about six episodes) and sew. I'm really tired of supplementing our comforter with an old twin Winnie the Pooh blanket, it needs a nice cover.

Madison came up to me this morning as I was eating chocolate-covered pretzels and reading Washington's Crossing (appropriate day to read about that) by David Hackett Fischer. She slipped her arms around my neck and whispered, "Thanks for the bike, Mom. I knew when we saw it in Target that you'd find a way to get it."

I said, "Hey, Santa brought that, you're not supposed to thank ME for any Christmas gifts, that's the point, they're from Santa."

"I know," she said, "but I wanted to thank you anyway, it's really great and you should know that I say thank you."

Because that's just the kind of kid she is.


Later: We always listen to WXXI, the local classical music station, on Christmas. And they just played a really strange piece which was a combination of "The Little Drummer Boy" and Ravel's "Bolero." I can't decide whether it works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved your story about buying the Barbie Party Plane and Cruise Ship in the weekly KOA newsletter. I have the same conflicted sort of feelings about them: Barbie's kind of the epitome of a lot of things I dislike, but, then again, I always enjoy playing with the Barbies when I'm hanging around with my friends' girls. Goodness knows, I loved them when I was a kid, too.

Hope you guys are enjoying more fun today. :)