At one point, David and I started using the song "You're the Top" as a good gradual cultural literacy discussion.
Here is a link to the lyrics. We don't sing 'em all, quite. David says that there are several versions.
But we were discussing tonight:
You're the National Gall'ry
You're Garbo's salary
You're cellophane.
David asked if either of them knew what "Garbo's salary" meant. Ella said,
"I think it's kind of a salad-thing that you eat..."
What? Where on earth did she get such an idea? We were perplexed. We couldn't help giggling up a storm.
Snuggling into bed a few minutes later, still a little perturbed at our giggle-fest, she explained it to me.
"Mom, I was thinking of that stuff that you eat. We made some at the cooking class."
Oh oh ooooooh! They made Waldorf Salad at the cooking school. There's a line a little further down in the song:
You're the top!
You're a Waldorf salad.
You're the top!
You're a Berlin ballad.
And what's in a Waldorf salad? Of course, CELERY!
(Although not exactly Garbo's celery.)
Monday, December 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment