Monday, December 17, 2007

Spelling

I really think the Writing Road to Reading program is having a big effect on Madison's spelling. I'm a little bit off-program on WRTR, in that nowadays we basically review the rules, and then plunge right in annotating the words they want to spell.

For example, this morning, Ella wrote out her Christmas List. Then, I wrote it out big and properly, and together, we went syllable by syllable and annotated it. They like this, particularly Madison.

The effect that it's been having lately on Madison is that she is, a bit annoyingly, often SPELLING when you ask her a question. But she's spelling properly, and fast.

"It's time to get your karate uniform on, Madison."

"I - space - K-N-O-W - space - T-H-A-T - period."

I don't fuss about how annoying that is, except when she does it to Ella's face, JUST to be annoying, because she knows Ella can't process the verbal spelling as fast as Madison has been doing it.

So this is all good news.

No comments: